School Dress Code
Cheatham County School Board Policy 6.310
Students shall dress and groom in a clean, neat and modest manner so as not to distract or interfere with the operation of the school.
More specific guidelines appropriate for each level of school (elementary, middle, junior high and senior high) may be developed. Principals, faculty members and students shall be involved in the development of each appropriate set of guidelines.
When a student is attired in a manner which is likely to cause disruption or interference with the operation of the school, the principal shall take appropriate action, which may include suspension and/or expulsion.
Cheatham County Central High School
Based on the need to address a standard and focus on academic learning, students' safety, and the workplace, CCCHS will enforce the following dress code.
*It is understood the final decision will be at the discretion of the administration.
* Students will be asked to fix the dress code infraction. Refusal to do so or subsequent infractions will result in disciplinary action. Students who cannot fix the dress code issue will be assigned to ISS for the day.
- Hats or other head-gear such as large or distracting head bands, bandannas, etc. and sunglasses (unless prescribed by a doctor) are not permitted to be worn in the building. Students who wear such items during in-school events will have the item confiscated and will be found in violation of the dress code.
- Shorts, skirts, dresses etc. must reach at least 3 inches above the crease of the knee,(the width of a standard index card when placed against the leg). This is the length from the front, side, and back.
- Leggings, yoga pants, and tight fitting spandex pants are not permitted unless the dress or skirt worn over them meets the length requirement for shorts, skirts, dresses (as indicated above, in number 2).
- Holes or visible worn spots on pants in violation of the length requirement for shorts, skirts, and dresses (see number 2 indicated above) are not permitted. Students must have appropriate undergarments under the pants. (Duct tape, paper in the hole, etc. is not allowed.)
- No sleeveless shirts.
- Clothing should have no inappropriate messages or graphics. (Included but not limited to: Hooters, Playboy, Confederate Flag, images or references to drugs, drug paraphernalia, alcohol, etc.)
- Undergarments are required and should not be visible. Cleavage and/or skin at the waist (should not be visible at any time.
- Pants must fit around the waist and shall not be excessively baggy or allow undergarments to be exposed. (Tennessee State Law.)
- Pajama bottoms and house slippers are not permitted.
- Facial piercings will be permitted as long as they do not create a safety issue or cause distraction. Large piercings, large studs, and sharp objects will not be permitted as they may cause a safety issue.
- Long/oversized coats should not be worn during the school day. These items should be placed in the locker.
- Costumes or face paintings will not be permitted unless part of a school sponsored activity and then must conform to the dress code.
- Students are not allowed to wear gang, or racially/ethnically inflammatory style, or sexually oriented clothing, colors, symbols, jewelry, etc. Chains attached to clothing are not permitted.